Whatever type of solar light you’re planning on buying for your garden, at some point you’ll find that they may stop working but how long do solar lights last?
Solar lights will normally last around 2-4 years before you’ll need to look at replacing the battery at the very least. LED bulbs can last for a lot longer but you’ll easily determine if your solar garden light needs attention as it will not light up or be unable to maintain a charge.
How long do solar lights last?
Are you considering adding solar lights to your garden? If so, you’re likely wondering how long they will last. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at how long solar lights typically last and some tips for making them last longer as well as the factors that influence their lifespan. Read on to learn more.
Solar lights are a great way to add light to your home or garden without having to worry about running electricity to the area.
They are also very easy to install and can be placed just about anywhere that gets a degree of sunlight. Solar lights rely on batteries to store energy during the day so that they can provide light at night.
These batteries will eventually need to be replaced, but solar lights can last for many years with proper care and maintenance. Replacement solar light batteries can be bought easily online but make sure they are the same type.
You can read more about how to replace batteries in our article.
The average lifespan of a solar light battery is around two years. However, if you take care of your solar lights and keep the batteries in good condition, they can last up to four years or even longer.
One way to help extend the life of your solar lights is to make sure the batteries are always fully charged. You can also clean the solar panels regularly to ensure they get the most light possible.
It is important to note that solar lights will not work in cold weather. If it is below freezing, the batteries will not be able to store energy and the lights will not turn on. Solar lights are a great way to add light to your home or garden during the warmer months, but be sure to take them down during the winter.
Tips on How to Make your Solar Lights Last Longer
How long do solar lights last will depend on a number of factors but luckily there are a number of things you can do to try and make your solar lights last longer.
- 1) Keep them clean – One of the best ways to ensure your solar lights last longer is to keep them clean. Dust, dirt, and grime can all build up on the solar panels, blocking sunlight and making it harder for the batteries to charge. A quick wipe down with a damp cloth every few weeks will help keep them clean and functioning properly.
- 2) Keep them out of the rain – Another way to ensure your solar lights last longer is to keep them out of the rain. Rain can cause moisture damage to solar panels and batteries, shortening their lifespan. If you can’t keep them covered, try to position them in a sheltered spot where they won’t be exposed to the rain.
- 3) Keep them in the sun – On the flip side, make sure to keep your solar lights in the sun whenever possible. Placing them in direct sunlight will help them charge more quickly and maximise their lifespan.
- 4) Don’t overcharge them – One of the main causes of solar light failure is overcharging. When the batteries are overcharged, they can become damaged and no longer hold a charge. To avoid this, only leave your solar lights out for as long as necessary to get a full charge.
- 5) Don’t let them discharge completely – Another common cause of solar light failure is letting the batteries discharge completely. This can also damage the batteries and make it difficult for them to hold a charge. To avoid this, try to charge your solar lights regularly, even if you’re not using them.
- 6) Use the right light bulbs – Not all solar light bulbs are created equal. Some are designed to last longer than others. When shopping for solar lights, be sure to look for products that use high-quality, long-lasting light bulbs.
- 7) Avoid physical damage – One of the best ways to prolong the life of your solar lights is to avoid physical damage. Dropping or banging them around can damage solar panels and batteries, making them less effective and shorter-lived. If you’re not using them, be sure to store them in a safe place where they won’t be damaged.
- 8) Use them seasonally – Although solar lights are designed to be used year-round. Leaving them out in the hot sun all summer can actually damage the solar panels and shorten their lifespan. Try to use your solar lights seasonally, storing them away during the off-season.
- 9) Check for damage regularly – Inspect your solar lights regularly for signs of damage. If you notice any cracks, chips or other damage, replace the light immediately. Continuing to use damaged solar lights can further damage them and shorten their lifespan.
- 10) Follow the manufacturer’s instructions – Finally, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your solar lights. This will help ensure that you’re using them properly and maximising their lifespan.
What Affects How Long Solar Lights Last?
So, we’ve looked at how to make your solar lights last longer but what other factors will affect how long they last. The lifespan of solar lights is determined by a number of factors, including:
- 1) Location – The location of your solar lights can have a big impact on how long the batteries will last. If you live in an area with a lot of sunlight, your solar lights will recharge quickly and the batteries will last longer.
However, if you live in a shaded area or an area with little sunlight, the batteries will take longer to recharge and won’t last as long.
- 2) Battery Type – The type of battery you use in your solar lights can also affect how long the batteries will last. Lithium-ion batteries are the longest-lasting and most expensive type of battery. Lead-acid batteries are cheaper but don’t last as long. NiCad batteries are somewhere in between Lithium-ion and Lead-acid in terms of price and longevity.
- 3) Use – How often you use your solar lights can also affect how long the batteries will last. If you use your solar lights every day, the batteries will drain faster than if you only use them once a week.
Solar lights are a great way to add light to your home without increasing your energy bills. By following these simple tips, you can help make sure your solar lights last as long as possible. If you haven’t bought your solar lights yet, head over to our online solar light shop to check out the latest designs.
Don’t forget that if your solar lights do stop working there are a number of reasons why it may happen. You can find out more in our Why Are My Solar Lights Not Working and How to Fix Them article.